What is Scabies?
Scabies is an infestation caused by a mite, which is an insect-like creature that is microscopic in size. Scabies is highly contagious and may produce epidemics within communities, boarding schools, households, etc. Nothing more than brief, casual contact with a person who is infested is required for transmission. Personal hygiene and cleanliness have absolutely nothing to do with scabies. People vary greatly in their sensitivity to the scabies mite. One person with scabies may suffer unbearable itching, while others will experience little or none at all. The only manifestations of the disease are itching and a rash. The internal organs are never affected by scabies. Scabies is treated by DoctorFullName for patients in PracticeRegion.
Method of treatment for Scabies:
- At bedtime, apply Elimite Cream from the chin to the soles of the feet, covering the entire body, front and back. Do not apply the medicine to the face. Give special attention to carefully applying the medicine to fold areas of the body – behind and within the ears, the folds of the underarms, groin and between the buttocks, and the webs between the fingers and toes. The cream should also be applied between the fingernails and toe nails. Apply the Elimite cream sparingly and rub in well. Half of a tube of the Elimite is sufficient to treat an average size adult.
- Avoid application of Elimite cream to the areas around the eyes, nose and mouth. If Elimite accidentally gets into the eyes, flush the eyes with cool water immediately.
- Allow Elimite Cream to remain on the skin overnight (at least 8 hours) and wash it off with a shower or bath the following morning. If the cream is accidentally washed off during the treatment period (for example, if you wash your hands), more should be applied.
- Mild, temporary stinging, burning or itching may occur and last for several hours after application of the medication. This disappears without treatment. The itching of the Scabies rash increases for a day or two after application of the Elimite Cream. This is normal.
- Before you wash off the Elimite cream, launder all bed linens and clothes worn during the preceding 2 days. This is important because some dislodged scabies mites may survive for over 1 day off a person. Children’s bed toys, electric or wool blankets, and other items not easily laundered should be set aside and not used for 36 hours. However, furniture,carpets, and pets do not need to be specially handled.
- All members of the family or household must be treated, whether they itch or not. The treatment should be done for all persons at the same time.